Fairbanks, AK Best Practice Meeting
Proposed Meeting Agenda*
Tuesday, July 17, 2018
· What is Good Welfare and Introducing a Tool to Assess Animal Welfare
- Field Techniques/Activities; Understanding trapping, equipment and mechanisms used (Time permitting various field demonstrations with discussions will occur)
- Inspecting Captive Wildlife Facilities (including hibernating animals)
- Federal and State Permitting Requirements; FAQ’s with Q/A
- Housing in the Natural Environment including a “hands-on” inspection of captive musk oxen
Wednesday, July 18, 2018
- Field Studies vs. Field Research – what’s the difference?
- Field Euthanasia Procedures
- IACUC Review – what does it entail (OccHealth, Risk to Habitat, Animal Activities)?
- Regulatory Oversight and Best Practices – the AWA, The Guide, Guidelines of the American Society of Mammologists, Other Taxa guidelines (USDA, OLAW, AAALAC)
* Registrants have an opportunity to request specific meeting topics. Consequently the meeting agenda may be enhanced based on registrants’ requests.
Bill Greer, Assistant Vice President for Research
- Ron E. Banks, Director, Division of Comparative Medicine
- Robert Sikes, AAALAC International Active Council Member
- Susan Silk, Director of Policy and Education
- Carolyn McKinnie, Supervisor Animal Care Specialist (USDA)
- Tracy Thompson, Veterinary Medical Officer (The National Park Service)
Fairbanks, AK Meeting Logistics:
When: July 17-18, 2018
Where: The University of Alaska Fairbanks
A limited number of rooms at the conference rates listed below have been reserved to accommodate you attendance at the Best Practices Meeting. To secure the conference room rate ($169) reservations must be made by June 1, 2018.
Holiday Inn Express
400 Merhar Avenue
Fairbanks Alaska 99701
Alternative Lodging: In addition to the Holiday Inn Express, lodging is available on the University of Alaska Fairbanks Campus. Please access this information by following the link and available instructions. https://uaf.edu/reslife/summer-break/
- IACUC Administrators Association (IAA) members: $60.
- Non-members: $175
*Save on registration fees by securing a membership in the IAA (http://iacucaa.org/)!
* $100 is the membership fee for the IAA; we encourage you to complete the membership application and sign-up to attend our meeting as an IAA Associate Member.
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to participate in the program and related activities. If you anticipate needing special accommodations or have questions about the physical access provided, please contact Bill Greer by email (email@example.com) at least two weeks prior to the conference.
The meeting facilitator reserves the right to cancel all programs. The IAA will not be responsible for any losses incurred by registrants including, but not limited to, airline cancellation charges or hotel deposits. The program agenda is subject to change without notice.
Participation of women, racial/ethnic minorities and persons with disabilities, and other individuals, who have been traditionally underrepresented in science, is encouraged.
For questions related to program contents: Contact Bill Greer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Fairbanks, AK 99701
|* IACUC Administrators Association NON-Members ($60 toward food and services)||$ 175.00|
|IACUC Administrators Association Associates ($60 toward food and services)||$ 60.00|